Permanent hair color + relaxer = disaster. That is not just a myth, it is a fact. How many times have you seen or even experienced tremendous hair breakage because there was a mixture of permanent hair color and relaxer?
But you know what? It doesn’t even have to be a blonde or light hair color, just the use of a permanent hair color light or dark along with a relaxer can cause severe damage.
Most women have no idea, or even know the difference between a Permanent, Demi-permanent, Semi-permanent and Temporary hair color. So I am going to run down what each one is, and then tell you what the uses should be.
- Permanent hair color – this is any hair color that requires a 20 volume developer or higher to be activated and work. This goes for light or dark colors, but if the hair color can make your hair lighter than its natural shade, then the color is definitely permanent.
- Demi-permanent hair color -this color is used to enhance, refresh, darken natural hair color and blend-in gray. It does not lighten hair and comes with a low volume developer, usually 5 to 10 volume. Most Demi-permanent hair color can be applied the same day as a relaxer, and can last up to 24 shampoos.
- Semi-permanent hair color- this type of hair color is used to enhance, match or darken natural hair color and blend in gray. A developer is not used for this hair color and therefore can not lighten the hair. This type of color can be applied the same day as a relaxer. Generally, semi-permanent lasts 6-12 shampoos.
- Temporary hair color – this type of hair color does not penetrate the cortex or the hair. Instead, it coats the outside of the hair shaft with color that washes out in one or two shampoos, and can also be applied the same day as a relaxer.
The main reason you do not want to mix permanent hair color with relaxer is because permanent hair color contains ammonia, and relaxer contains sodium (salt).
Just imagine mixing ammonia and salt together. I’ve never actually done it but I could imagine it fizzing and making an awful smell. These are the two products that you are essentially putting on your hair.
Even though these two products may not be applied at the same time, both of these chemicals are permanent, which means it will last on your hair throughout the life of the hair strand itself. This is why it is so damaging.
I always suggest to my clients that they wear one or the other. Relaxer, or permanent color, but you can’t have both. There are of course exceptions to every rule, but for the most part I stick to this.
If you have found yourself the culprit of using permanent hair color and relaxer, and you are experiencing super shedding and breakage, there are a few thing you can do to slow it down.
Please keep in mind that the hair will eventually break completely off and you will have to do a big chop and start over, but this can buy you some time to get some new growth of hair to help with the shock of loosing it all.
The best thing you can do to “stop the bleeding” is to give your hair a pure protein treatment. Start with a moisturizing shampoo, and follow up with a great moisturizing conditioner.
PURE PROTEIN FOR HAIR IS VERY STRONG AND SHOULD NOT BE USED ON A REGULAR BASIS.
This is for hair that is experiencing constant shedding and breakage, and is extremely dry.
So, with that in mind, here are the products that I recommend:
- Nexxus Therappe Moisturizing Luxury Shampoo – First shampoo your hair 2 to 3 times with Nexxus Moisturizing Shampoo to cleanse and remove any oils, dandruff, and product buildup.
- Nexxuss Emergencee Restorative Strength Conditioning Treatment – This product is protein and is very strong. This treatment should only be used in extreme cases where there is excessive shedding and breakage. Apply 1 to 2 ounces of treatment to the hair with an applicator bottle. Put cotton around the hairline to catch dripping product and cover with a plastic cap. Sit under a medium to hot dryer for 20 minutes.
- Nexxus Humectress Moisturizing Treatment – Thoroughly rinse the Emergencee Treatment and apply a generous amount of Humectress conditioner, cover with plastic cap, and sit under a medium to hot dryer for 10 minutes. Rinse and style as usual.
These three products work well together and will stop shedding instantly. But remember, the protein treatment is for extreme cases and should not be used on a regular basis. The shampoo and conditioner can be used regularly.
Before you know it, you’ll be back on the road to healthy hair!